The benefits of getting a timber carport kit are clear – you can save costs by putting it up yourself or save on paying your builder to organise getting it for you, and instead just pay for its construction.
What’s it all about? Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about carport kits:
What’s included in a carport kit?
Made from clear pine with a sleek Colorbond roof, our carport kit includes:
- Drawings to supply to Council should their approval be required prior to building
- All carport framing components
- Colorbond roofing in your choice of colour
- All hardware, gutter and downpipe
- Full building instructions
- everything you need to build one of our distinctive carports in a day or so.
Can you get them in other than the standard sizes?
Yes you can! If you have a particular space you’d like filled, we can custom make to your specifications.
This goes for triple-car carports
as well. Though we don’t have a standard size triple carport, we have been asked for this in the past, and are able to accommodate this as well.
Will I need to get Council approval?
It depends. You’ll need to check with your local Council if you need approval prior to building. This will vary from Council to Council.
How do we affix the posts?
There are a number of options, including:
- The post can go 600mm into a concrete pad in the ground
- Timber posts can be placed on a stirrup and then fixed into a concrete slab or pad
- Timber posts can be placed on a stirrup and then fixed onto the top of the concrete slab or pad
- The timber post can be fixed in a post base onto a concrete slab
What will the freight be to our door?
This depends largely on where you live of course, but freight ranges for the two standard sizes as below:
- Single carport – from around $100 Melbourne Metro to around $400 Queensland Country / Perth
- Double carport – from around $100 Melbourne Metro to around $520 Queensland Country / Perth
I have a 4 wheel drive – will my car fit under it? Can I make the carport roof higher?
The internal height dimension in the centre of the single or double carport
is at least 2.4 meters, so standard 4 wheel drives can fit under well. But if you have roof racks or a raised 4 wheel drive and you need to go higher, then you can make the carport roof higher, simply by ordering longer posts. The height will also depend on how you are affixing the posts to the ground (see the post answer above).
Can I – as a handyman – build it myself?
Lyrebird carport kits
are not built – they are assembled. Most components are pre-cut and pre-drilled, for easy assembly. This is what makes our carport kits unique! So provided you know your way around tools, you and a mate can have them up in a day or two – though larger carports may take a little longer.
I have more questions!
No problem. Lyrebird are known throughout the industry for providing detailed advice and assistance. Contact us
and we’ll work you through it. The link above will take you to a page where you can register for our e-Newsletter as well – and get access to all of our product brochures.